The Best Switch Controller for Every Genre: Nintendo Switch Gamepads 2022
There are many great options for Switch Pro controllers.
The Best Nintendo Switch Controller in 2022
Nintendo Switch Pro ControllerAmazon
Alternative to the Switch Pro Controller
8Bitdo Pro 2Amazon
Four-Paddle Switch Controller: Best
PowerA Fusion Pro wireless controllerAmazon
Switch Pro Controller at the Best Price
PDP Gaming Faceoff Deluxe+Amazon
Ideal for handheld gamers
Hori Split Pad ProSee Split Pad Pro at Amazon
Ideal for people who want to use a D-pad.
Hori D-Pad ControllerAmazon
The best switch controller to create themed designs
PowerA Enhanced Wireless ControllerAmazon
Nintendo Switch's best classic controller
Bluetooth 8BitDo M30Amazon
Switch Online: Best NES Controller
8Bitdo N30 BluetoothAmazon
Switch: The best way to use PlayStation/Xbox controllers
Bluetooth Adapter 8BitDo WirelessAmazon
GameCube Switch Controller: Best GameCube Style
PDP Wired Pro Fight PadAmazon
The original GameCube design is the best.
PowerA GameCube controllerAmazon
The Best Race Wheel for Switch Racing
Hori Mario Kart Racing Wheel Pro DeluxePro Deluxe at Best Buy
The best Nintendo Switch fight stick
Hori Real Arcade Pro VAmazon
The best Nintendo Switch price stick fight
Hori Fighting Stick MiniAmazon
The best Nintendo Switch fighting pad
PowerA Fusion Wired Fighting PadAmazon
Technically, you don't need extra controllers to use your Nintendo Switch. You don't actually need to buy extra controllers for your Nintendo Switch. Most multiplayer games support only one Joy-Con, so it is rare that you can play local multiplayer on Switch without purchasing additional accessories. The Joy-Con controllers can only be used in handheld mode. They don't feel as good when paired with the grip. You should purchase a quality controller as your first accessory for the Switch. The Switch Pro controller may be the best option, but there are many other controllers that you can consider. Here's a list of the top Nintendo Switch controllers for 2022. You can find Switch controllers for all types of games and experiences. We recommend that you get a few of these controllers, depending on the game you are playing.
To help you choose the best Nintendo Switch controllers, we've tried them all. 8BitDo is a manufacturer of retro-inspired controllers. It also makes our favourite Pro Controller, the Pro 2. Hori produces the Split Pad Pro, and other great accessories for Nintendo Switch. PDP offers affordable Switch controllers that are GameCube-style. You can get a third-party controller for less than a Pro Controller depending on your Switch gaming needs and preferences. It's also possible to find great options that are cheaper than Pro Controllers, though it is a good idea to buy one.
Here are our top picks for the best Switch Pro Controllers, including better Joy-Cons and fight sticks. Check out these great Nintendo Switch accessories, including screen protectors and grips.
- It has the best ergonomics I have ever used for a controller
- It is satisfying to press buttons
- Supports NFC/Amiibo, HD rumble and motion controls
- D-Pad can be prone to making incorrect inputs
We can't discuss the top Nintendo Switch controllers without first mentioning the Switch Pro Controller. With very few flaws, the Switch Pro Controller makes a good buy. The Switch Pro Controller is undoubtedly the most ergonomically-friendly console controllers from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. The perfect size is for larger hands and triggers are just right to rest your fingers. It's easy to use the face buttons, the Home, Screenshot, + and - buttons, as well as the Home and Screenshot buttons. The analog sticks are very responsive and have good tension. There is motion control, which allows you to avoid switching to Joy-Cons when playing certain Switch games. You can use it with your Switch Lite if you need that. It also has a great battery life. It works flawlessly with most Switch games because of all these features.
Additionally, the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller boasts many features that third-party controllers don't often offer. It also has a very capable USB-C-to-USB-A cable. These include NFC/Amiibo and HD rumble support. Although these are not necessary for most games, they can bring a smile to your face. Super Mario Odyssey's HD rumble makes it a great game. The Pro Controller is a great Nintendo Switch accessory and is a top-of-the-line controller. However, there are many other options available at much lower prices that you could consider buying for friends.Amazon
Related Reading: Best Nintendo Switch Games (May 2022)
- Mapping and customization of macros, with two additional back buttons
- Switches make it easy to toggle between modes and profiles with new switches
- For analog sticks or triggers, there are adjustable dead zones
- You can customize the rumble function
- Battery rechargeable and removable, lasts up to 20 hours
- Two AA batteries can be used in place of the bulk battery pack
- Doubles are a great option for playing classic games
- To customize inputs to the controller, you will need a computer
The 8BitDo SN30 Pro Plus was a favorite Switch controller for a while. Its successor, 8BitDo Pro 2 improves upon the Pro Plus and retains its most valuable features. With a design that is reminiscent of the SNES, the Pro 2 Switch Pro controller replacement is the most popular. The Bluetooth gamepad can be customized for buttons mapping, trigger inputs and vibration adjustments, as well as analog sticks. The Pro 2 has two additional back paddle buttons that give you greater control and ergonomics. You can swap buttons, reverse the X/Y axis of your analog sticks and much more. It can create macros with up to 18 inputs. You will need to customize everything on your computer, but 8Bitdo’s customizable software makes it easy. This software can be used with both Android and iOS, as well as on a PC.
The Pro 2 also features custom profile switching. This allows you to store up three profiles and can be changed on-the-fly with the button located on the front. The back has a button that allows you to switch between Switch and macOS as well as D-Input or X-Input. This makes it easy for users to pair different devices quickly. The battery can be recharged or used as a disposable.Amazon
Related Reading: DC's Legends of Tomorrow: A Eulogy For The Best Arrowverse Show
- Four back paddles that can be mapped
- Fantastic form factor
- Reactive controls
- HD Rumble and Amiibo are not supported
- The sticks are slightly looser than those of the Pro controller.
While the PowerA Fusion Pro has the same form and layout as the Switch Pro controller, it adds four mappable back paddles. For added comfort, the Fusion Pro connects via Bluetooth and has rubber grips. The Fusion Pro also has a headphone socket, something that is strangely missing from other Switch controllers. However, it only works with wired connections. A 10-foot USB-C cable is included with the Fusion Pro, as well as a protective case that can be used to store your controller. Important to know that the Fusion Pro does not support HD rumble and Amiibo. However, it does have motion controls.Amazon
Related Reading: MLB The Show 22: Best April Monthly Awards Cards
- Amazing D-pad
- Excellent ergonomics
- Remappable paddles
- For voice-chat enabled games, and for listening to music with headphones, audio port is a great option.
- In some instances, you can hit the paddles accidentally
- You can't get the Switch out of Sleep Mode.
PDP Faceoff Deluxe+, a budget-friendly controller for Nintendo Switch is an excellent choice. The wired controller features remappable paddles as well an audio port. It also costs less than $30. It's almost identical to the Switch Pro Controller in design. Although the sticks and triggers may be a little higher than others, they are still essentially the same design.
The analog sticks are similar to those on the Pro controller, with a comparable tension. It also has an excellent D-pad. You can use the 3.5mm audio port to speak in support games, or listen to audio in-game. It works great, as you can control the volume both on the controller and in the menu. Its wired connection means that you won't need to worry about the battery going flat. The wired connection powering the Switch means that you can't turn it on in Sleep Mode. Instead, press the Power button on the docked Switch to start playing.
There is only one profile for the configuration and there is no way to switch the paddles off. If you do not want to use the paddles, then you will need to map them together. This makes them so that there are no inputs when you press them. This is a small issue but annoying.
We recommend the Faceoff Deluxe+ wired control as long as there are no inconveniences.Amazon
- Handheld play is made more enjoyable by ergonomic design
- The Joy-Cons have more precise analog sticks that Nintendo's Joy-Cons
- Excellent D-pad
- Larger shoulder and face buttons
- Split Pad Pro attaches easily to the dock
- Programmable back paddles
- For now, restricted to hand-held use
- Only one button can be used to program back paddles
- There is no rumble or motion control, nor NFC reader capabilities.
Hori's Split Pad Pro Joy-Cons are the most advanced. Split Pad Pro provides a traditional controller experience for the Switch when used in handheld mode. The curved handles give it a bulkier grip and provide a better control interface. The Split Pad Pro features regular analog sticks instead of the slimmer thumbsticks found on Joy-Cons. The Split Pad Pro has a larger trigger and button, as well as real D-pad. This makes it ideal for classic and modern games. Split Pad Pro is the perfect controller for handheld competitive play with Switch.
Due to its limited power draw, the Split Pad Pro can only be used handheld. Hori will release a new Split Pad Pro in April that can be used with your Switch docked. It has a wired attachment which turns the controller into two Joy-Cons. Nintendo officially licenses both models. There are many great Nintendo Switch grips but none that can fix the Joy-Con's limitations like the Split Pad Pro.Amazon Split Pad Pro - Split Pad Attachment Set
- This is a great and convenient way to use a D-Pad handheld mode
- It is very comfortable to use for those games which excel using a D-pad
- Only for handheld use
- Compatible with all cases and grips
- It doesn't include a right controller matching it
The Switch Joy-Con's lack of proper D-Pad on the left Joy-Con is perhaps the worst thing. This is not a major issue for games such as Breath Of The Wild or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate doesn't use the D-pad in a demanding way, but the Hori Joy-Con D-Pad Joy Con feels much more accurate and comfortable playing handheld without the need for an additional gamepad. Although the Joy-Con's D-pad is somewhat soft, it is easy to forget how enjoyable this experience is.
It is important to keep in mind a few points. The Joy-Con cannot be used wirelessly so it can only be used in handheld mode. It is not compatible with all cases or grips. Because the latch button is longer than the Nintendo Joy-Cons, this can be explained. With a pair scissors, we cut a hole in a cheap Orzly grip bag.Amazon
- A wide range of designs available from the popular Nintendo franchises, and many more
- Motion controls and mappable buttons are supported
- Switch Pro Controller has a similar ergonomic design.
- The build quality is less than other brands.
- Two AA batteries are required. They cannot be recharged unless they're your rechargeable batteries.
- HD rumble and IR are not supported.
When it comes down to Switch Pro Controller alternatives, the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller deserves an honourable mention. Although it isn't as durable and customizable as the Pro 2, this controller can be used to replace PDP's Faceoff Deluxe+ wirelessly. The Enhanced Wireless Controller is available in a variety of striking and bold designs by PowerA. These designs are inspired by popular Nintendo series like Mario, Zelda, Cuphead, Spyro and The Witcher. You can often get great deals at Amazon on older models, which are priced at $50.
The PowerA Enhanced Wireless controller is lacking in build quality compared with other options. The Pro Controller feels more lightweight and less expensive than this controller, while the joysticks and D-pad are slightly longer and higher. The controller is similar in design to the Pro Controller, with the same standard buttons layout and comfortable ergonomic design, however, it doesn't have that premium feeling. Two mappable rear buttons are included, as well as motion control and HD rumble, HD IR, and Amiibo NFC support. This model is powered by AA batteries, and cannot be charged like the Pro Controller. However, you can use rechargeable AAA batteries.
We love the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller because of its wide range of themes and similarity to the Pro Controller, but we wouldn't recommend it as your primary Switch controller. This can be used as a second or third Switch controller for multiplayer or when the Pro Controller is charging.Amazon
- Amazing D-pad design and excellent ergonomics
- It connects to the Nintendo Switch directly
- Compatible with Windows, Mac and Android.
- It is not suitable for all types of games
The 8BitDo M30 controller makes a great retro gaming device, particularly if you own Nintendo Switch Online + Expandsion Pack. This allows you to access the Sega Genesis game library. It uses six buttons instead of the traditional three, making it more flexible than other Genesis controllers. The ergonomics of the M30 have been changed to be more comfortable than the Sega original. The M30 is great for classic titles like platformers and fighting games, as well as other genres. Although it won't work for every game (especially those that require a second analog stick), it is a great option.Amazon
- Better shoulder buttons than the subscription-exclusive NES Joy-Cons
- Included a "Home" button
- It connects to the Nintendo Switch directly
- Compatible with USB adapters and retro receivers
- It is not suitable for all types of games
It's not for everybody. This controller is a NES-style one that's great for specific games. It can be used with everything from the Switch Online NES Library and very few other titles. It's a great controller if your nostalgia is for the rectangular NES controller.
Although the NES Switch controllers from Nintendo are excellent, they lack shoulder buttons, and must be charged in the same manner as the Joy-Cons. You also need the Nintendo Switch Online subscription before you can purchase the controllers. The N30, provided it is in stock, will do the job.Amazon
- Allows you to use a DualSense or DualShock 4 Bluetooth-enabled Xbox controller.
- It is easy to set-up
- Certain games may cause vibration problems that require firmware upgrades to correct.
- You can't get out of Sleep Mode.
Although this adapter is not a controller it allows you to use many other controllers than the Nintendo Switch. Simply plug the adapter in the USB port of the dock and you'll be able to play Switch games with a DualSense or DualShock 4 Bluetooth-enabled Xbox Controller.
This adapter will not allow you to use HD rumble or motion controls with any Bluetooth controller. The tradeoff is negligible, particularly if you use your Bluetooth controller. This is the best way to get a good controller that works with your Switch console for a low price.Amazon
- These hand grips can be very comfortable
- The shoulder buttons are designed to fit perfectly into the curves of your fingers
- Different types of games will benefit from the interchangeable C-stick
- The Wired Connection offers latency-free control
- The D-pad looks just like the GameCube original controller.
- You can't get the Switch out of Sleep Mode.
If you are a fan of Super Smash Bros. Melee, the classic GameCube controller will be a familiar one. PDP's Wired Fight Pad Pro controllers, which are based on the GameCube's controller design, is the perfect choice. Fight Pad Pro grips have a longer reach than those on the GameCube, which makes them more ergonomic and easier to hold in your hand. Modernized shoulder buttons include ZL and ZR, which conform to your index finger curves. Finally, the C-stick nub can be removed and replaced with an analog GameCube nub.
These changes allow you to appreciate the GameCube’s unique shape and button placement in an updated design. Only problem with the new controller design is its size. This was also a flaw in the original GameCube pad. Super Smash Bros is the focus of Fight Pad Pro. Ultimate was the main focus of the Fight Pad Pro. It works well for Ultimate, as it has the same functionality. However, thanks to the interchangeable and more comfortable shoulder buttons, grips, and C-stick, the controller is great for controlling games such as Animal Crossing New Horizons or The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.Amazon
- It is very similar to the GameCube original controller
- You can add a bigger D-pad or a shoulder button to your jacket.
- It is easy to connect wireless versions to Switch
- The wireless version of the Switch can be used to wake it up from sleep mode
- A great selection of designs
- The Switch will not wake up in Sleep mode if it is connected to the Wired Version
PowerA's GameCube controller looks very much like Nintendo's original. However, it has some minor differences. It has a larger D-pad which is better suited to games such as 2D platformers and fighting games. However, there are controllers that have better D-pads if you need one. PowerA's controller shines with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Animal Crossing New Horizons and The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild are some of the other games that PowerA's controller excels at.
Although the GameCube-style GameCube controller by PowerA isn’t as comfy as PDP’s, it is more like Nintendo's original design. PowerA's pad offers a similar controller to the GameCube, but with modern conveniences.Amazon
- Cool Mario Kart-themed design
- Reactive controls
- Pro Deluxe version includes pedals, too
- There is no force feedback
Hori makes officially licensed Mario Kart racing wheels. They are very affordable. Pro Deluxe versions include a wheel that has both on-board and foot controls. You can also choose the Mini version with a brighter design and similar wheels, but without pedals. These wheels aren't high-end, but they feel great and come at a reasonable price.Amazon: See Pro Mini Deluxe on Best Buy
- Joystick is solid and precise
- It is very rewarding to click and push buttons.
- Switchable between analog stick control and D-pad
- Every Switch function has features buttons
- Turbo option
- Works for PC
- There is no way to remove or replace cables
- It's not as simple or as accessible to replace parts as it is with other sticks.
There aren't many options when it comes to high-end fighting sticks for Nintendo Switch. The Badole, a Nintendo hybrid has Hori's expertise in quality sticks. Real Arcade Pro V is an outstanding option. It excels in fighting games, but can also control most console games. The switch allows you to swap between analog and D-pad controls. There are buttons for all functions on the platform. It is easy to use and can be used for punching or kicking in the middle of intense fights.Amazon
- Excellent stick at a great price
- It's small enough to fit in a big hand, even though it is "minimal".
- Rubber feet prevent surfaces from sliding around
- It works well in all types of fighting games
- Turbo function
- There is no way to switch the joystick between analog and D-pad controls
- Lower prices equals lower components
Hori's Fighting Stick Mini can be a fantastic beginner's tool for anyone who enjoys fighting games, but isn't able to spend the substantial amount required for high-end sticks. It's lightweight and affordable, so it can keep you fighting, no matter if you are gaming on Switch or PC.
The Fighting Stick Mini costs less than the higher-end sticks so it is questionable if its components can withstand the abuse a fighter gamer might inflict on them. It is also disappointing that the Joystick Mini lacks features, including the inability switch the joystick's control between the analog and D-pad. The Fighting Stick Mini was able to perform well during fights and is a great value for money. It's a great option for parents who want to introduce their children to fighting games.Amazon
- A comfortable shape and size
- Instead of feeling like typical fighter pads, buttons are more traditional controllers.
- Secure wired connection
- Faceplates that can be interchanged
- Switchable between analog stick control and D-pad
- Not suitable for combat games or other 2D-focused titles
- Compatibility with PC is limited
The Switch doesn't have many options for fighting pads. There's also a few retro controllers available that can make great pads for games. However, you will always need to give up something, such as a pair or analog stick control. The wired Fusion Fight Pad from PowerA solves this problem with a switch that allows you to swap between D-pad, left or right analog stick controls and all four buttons. It looks very similar to the Sega Saturn's controller for fighting games or 2D platformers. Although the Fusion Fight Pad isn't as versatile, it still offers great value if you are looking for an excellent controller.
Although the buttons feel stiffer than most fighter pads, it was not an issue when you actually started playing. Although the Fusion feels very natural and familiar in your hands, the Saturn is not the perfect match. The Fusion Fight Pad by PowerA is a great choice for Switch players who prefer traditional buttons to control their Switch.Amazon
Get More Technology Picks
- The Best 4K TVs for Gaming
- The Best Monitor for Series X
- Best Gaming Chairs
- + More Tech Picks from Links
- The Best Gaming Monitors at a Cheap Price in 2022
- These are the Best PC Gaming Headsets for 2021
- These are the Best Nintendo Switch Controllers Available
- These are the Best VR Headsets in 2020
- This is the Best Webcam for 2021: The Top Choices To Stream On Twitch and YouTube